2019-2020 Global Grant Scholarship (GGS) Recipient - Anna DeWitt
Rotary District 6220
2019-2020 Global Grant Scholarship (GGS) recipient:
Anna DeWitt, Appleton, WI.
Previous studies, degree, experience:
- Luther College, Decorah, IA, -B.A, History, International Studies
- Internship at the Minnesota Historical Society--long-term cultural exchange with Iraqi students, sponsored by the US State Department
- Study abroad-Nottingham, England-tutor volunteer for English for refugees fleeing conflict
GGS Rotary Area of Focus: Peace and Conflict Prevention/Resolution
- Place of Study: Queen’s University Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
- Studies & Degree: Master of Arts in Conflict Transformation and Social Justice
- International Host Club: Rotary Club of Appleton, WI
- Host Club: Rotary Club of Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Short and long term related career goal:
After completion of the Conflict Transformation and Social Justice MA, Anna plans to serve communities that have experienced conflict and social inequality by working in a non-profit or non-governmental, peacebuilding, advocacy organization. Her ideal position would coordinate or develop programs for young people. Specifically, she hopes to promote youth leadership in transforming societies affected by conflict. Anna also wants to encourage young people to build cross-cultural relationships.
Long term, Anna would like to pursue work in research on best practices to inform policy and methods in the field. A career in research would allow her to share her own and others’ experiences in promoting peace and social justice. Furthermore, it will increase the impact of Anna’s work on an international level by creating accessible information that can assist other regions in their peace building processes.