District History
 

Christine "Tina" Hall

(906)235-1169
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
   

 

District 6220 Exec. Asst.

(920)639-3615
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Slider

By Pryse Duerfeldt, PDG D-6220

The organizational structure has seen many changes over the years, each change being developed to help manage the progressive expansion of the idea of Rotary as it spread though the United States, Canada, The British Isles and the World. The genesis of every current District of Rotary International can also be traced back to the need to provide major groupings and governing of club areas.

The area comprising the current District 6220 was once [1912] part of the Central Division, U. S. [North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Iowa, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio] with it’s own Divisional V.P.. 1915 was the beginning of D- 9 [Michigan Upper Peninsula, Wisconsin, Minnesota]. In 1918 it became D- 15 [Michigan Upper Peninsula, Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, Manitoba, Western Ontario], which then excluded Manitoba, Ontario and the Michigan UP east of the 85th meridian in 1919.

[Quotes in the following descriptions are directly from the RI Archives. This author is not familiar enough with Wisconsin to question the validity of these quoted descriptions.]

In 1922 it became D-10 [Wisconsin, and the Michigan UP west of the 85th meridian]. In 1923 Douglas County, Wisconsin was excluded. In 1925 D-10 included the same Michigan UP portion but only that part of Wisconsin “north of the southern boundaries of Kewaunee, Brown, Outagamie, Trempeleau, Buffalo, Pepin and Pierce Counties and that portion of Winnebago County north of latitude 44 degrees, 5 minutes.”

In 1937 the number was changed to D-143 and included the same UP portion and only that part of Wisconsin north of the southern boundaries of Kewaunee, Brown, Outagamie, Waupaca, Portage, Wood, Clark, Eau Claire, Trempealeau, Buffalo, Pepin and Pierce, excluding Douglas County. In 1938 D-143 included the same UP portion and only that part of Wisconsin “north of the southern boundaries of Kewaunee, Brown, Outagamie, Waupaca, Portage, Wood, Clark, Eau Claire and Pepin and that portion of Winnebago County north of latitude 44 degrees, 5 minutes.”

Pryse Duerfeldt, PDG 1993-94

In 1949 the number was changed to D-208 and included the same UP portion and only that part of Wisconsin “north of the northern boundaries of the counties of Manitowoc, Calumet, Waushara, Adams, Juneau, Jackson, Trempeleau and Buffalo (except Douglas County), and west of the western boundary of Buffalo County and that portion of Winnebago County north of latitude 44 degrees, 5 minutes.” In 1957 the number was changed to D-622 [which was part of D-208] and included the same UP portion and only that part of Wisconsin “north of the northern boundaries of the counties of Kewaunee, Manitowoc, Calumet, Winnebago, Waushara, Adams, Wood, Clark, Dunn and St. Croix.”

In 1968 D-622 boundaries were changed again and included the same UP portion and only that part of Wisconsin “north of the northern boundaries of the counties of Kewaunee, Manitowoc, Calumet, Winnebago, Waushara, Adams, Wood, Clark, Chippewa, and Barron, and east of the eastern boundary of Burnett County, south of the southern boundaries of Douglas, Bayfield and Ashland counties and east of the eastern boundary of Ashland county.” In 1981 D-622 boundaries were changed again such that they included the same UP portion and only that part of Wisconsin “north of the northern boundaries of the counties of Kewaunee, Manitowoc, Calumet, Winnebago, Waushara, Adams, Wood, Clark and Chippewa; and east of the eastern boundaries of the counties of Barron, Sawyer and Ashland; south of the southern boundaries of Ashland and Sawyer.”

In 1992 D-622 became D-6220 with no boundary changes.

 

The Genealogy of the Clubs of D-6220

By Pryse Duerfeldt, PDG D-6220

The organizational structure has seen many changes over the years, each change being developed to help manage the progressive expansion of the idea of Rotary as it spread though the United States, Canada, The British Isles and the World. [See the Rotary Club of Marquette website, ‘District 6220 History.’]

The genesis of every club can be traced back to the February 23, 1905 organization of the Rotary Club of Chicago, retroactively given Charter #1. Since that time, each new Rotary Club has been sponsored by an existing Rotary Club or its representative. [The genesis of every current District of Rotary International can also be traced back to the need to provide major groupings and governing of club areas. See section of D-6220 History.] Charters were not issued by The International Association until June 2, 1913 and were retroactively given with Charter numbers to clubs that were organized and accepted before then, using the order in which they were organized. On July, 1951, Rotary International ceased issuing Charter numbers. [Club numbers that appear in the Directory or the Semi-Annual reports are ID numbers, not charter numbers.]

D-6220 Original Charter Numbers, Dates & Sponsors collected by Pryse Duerfeldt, D-6220 PDG, from Club & District Histories, Rotarian magazines scanned by Google Books, RI Archives, RGHF archives & many personal contacts. Updates welcome. [NA= No Charter numbers were issued after July 1951.] 12/21/09

 

Genealogy Continued

Wausau, WI #136, 1/1/1915, sponsored by Milwaukee, WI #57* [admitted under Central Divisional VP W.D. Biggers of Detroit, see Rotarian, 7/1915, pp. 12-14. See Anuta p.67 under 1921-22 DG: “Deputy District Governor” Zimmers of Milwaukee presented the charter. See note.*]

  • Sponsored Merrill, WI, #231, 7/1/1916
  • Sponsored Wisconsin Rapids, WI, #501, 6/17/1919 [club was re-sponsored by Appleton in 1971]
  • Sponsored Marshfield, WI, #522, 8/1/1919 Marshfield sponsored Marshfield Sunrise, WI, #NA, 1993
  • Sponsored Rhinelander, WI #677, 4/1/1920 Rhinelander sponsored Crandon, WI #1726, about June 1924 See Rhinelander
  • Sponsored Wausau Early Birds, WI #NA, 1/1/1993

Marquette, MI #204, 3/1/1916, sponsored by Superior, #40** Sponsored Menominee, MI #363, 3/1/1918 Sponsored Sault Ste. Marie, MI #438, 1/1/1919 Sault Ste. Marie, MI sponsored Chippewa County Sunrise, MI, April 23, 2002

  • Sponsored Escanaba, MI #682, 5/1/1920 Escanaba sponsored Gladstone, MI #973, 5/1/1921
  • Sponsored Houghton, MI #774, 11/1/1920
  • Sponsored Iron Mt., MI #860, 4/1/1921
  • Sponsored Hancock, MI #866, 4/1/1921
  • Sponsored Crystal Falls, MI #933, 5/1/1921 [defunct 12/19/2007]
  • Sponsored Manistique, MI #1347, 2/10/1923
  • Sponsored Munising, MI #2334, 5/3/1926 Helped organize Ontonagon, MI #1567, 4/18/1932,
  • sponsored by ??; added White Pine 10/1966[This charter #1567 was originally assigned to Prestonburg, KY - Rotarian 2/1924,p.42 - which went out of commission soon afterward and was reassigned to Ontonagon. The current Prestonburg club was begun in 1986.]
  • Sponsored Ishpeming, MI #4423, 10/16/1937
  • Sponsored Marquette West, MI, #NA, 3/26/1984 Marquette West sponsored Marquette Breakfast, MI, #NA, 3/20/1991

Merrill, WI #231, 7/1/1916,

  • sponsored by Wausau. [Sometime after 5/1933, their charter was revoked because of the Depression. They were readmitted 5/7/1937.]

Green Bay, WI #279, 3/1/1917, sponsored by ??????

  • Sponsored Marinette, WI #425, 10/1/1918
  • Sponsored Manitowoc, WI #502, 6/17/1919 Manitowoc sponsored Two Rivers, WI, #1341, 2/8/1923
  • Sponsored Sturgeon Bay, WI #728, 5/1/1920
  • Sturgeon Bay sponsored Kewanee, WI #1720, 4/15/1924
  • Sturgeon Bay sponsored Sturgeon Bay Breakfast, WI, #NA, 2/17/1992
  • Sponsored Antigo, WI #1346, 2/10/1923
  • Sponsored Shawano, WI #1543, 11/3/1923 Shawano sponsored Bonduel, WI #6065, 8/9/1945
  • Sponsored De Pere, WI #2295, 3/22/1926
  • Sponsored Green Bay West, WI #NA, 4/22/1974
  • Sponsored Gillett-Oconto Falls, WI #NA, [but RI Archives say Shawano so Green Bay may have organized it and ‘passed it off’ to Shawano] 5/20/1977; [defunct 6/17/1991]

Appleton, WI #288, 4/1/1917

  • Sponsored by ??? [Dick Calder noted sponsor was Pittsburgh, PA #20, but the Pittsburgh club says NO]
  • Sponsored New London, WI #1212, 6/1/1922 New London sponsored Clintonville, WI #1848, 11/28/1924 Clintonville sponsored Marion, WI #2678, 10/17/1927
  • Sponsored Kaukauna, WI #1357, 2/24/1923
  • Sponsored Berlin, WI #1542, 11/1/1923
  • Sponsored Neenah, WI #2013, 5/29/1925 Neenah sponsored Menasha, WI, #2376, 6/9/1926[RI says Appleton sponsored]
  • Sponsored Appleton West, WI #NA, 9/28/1970
  • Sponsored Wisconsin Rapids, WI, #NA, 1971[original club #501, organized 6/17/1919, sponsored by Wausau]
  • Sponsored Appleton Breakfast, WI #NA, 10/21/1985
  • Sponsored Waupaca Breakfast, WI #NA, 1/22/1993
  • Sponsored Kurgan, Russia, #NA, 2008 (Sister City of Appleton)

Stevens Point, WI #293, 5/1/1917, sponsored by Duluth [Rotarian, 2/1917,p.148]

  • Sponsored Greater Portage Co., WI, #NA, 2/17/2004

Menominee, MI #363, 3/1/1918

  • Sponsored by Marquette

Marinette, WI #425, 10/1/1918

  • Sponsored by Green Bay

Rhinelander, WI #677, 4/1/1920, sponsored by Wausau

  • Sponsored Crandon, WI #1726, about April 1924 Crandon 
  • Sponsored Eagle River, WI #2874, 5/23/1928 - Eagle River 
  • Sponsored Phelps, WI, #3287, 7/28/1930 [charter presentation date] - Eagle River 
  • Sponsored Three Lakes, WI, #3443, 4/28/1931 [charter presentation date] Eagle River 
  • Sponsored Lakeland (Minocqua), WI, #NA, 4/12/1974 - Lakeland sponsored Minocqua-Lakeland Area Breakfast, #NA, 8/9/1995

Escanaba, MI #682, 5/1/1920 

  • Sponsored by Marquette
  • Sponsored Gladstone, MI #973, 5/1/1921

Sturgeon Bay, WI #728, 5/1/1920, sponsored by Green Bay

  • Sponsored Kewaunee, WI #1720, 4/15/1924
  • Sponsored Sturgeon Bay Breakfast, WI, #NA, 2/17/1992

Houghton, MI #774, 11/1/1920, sponsored by Marquette

  • Possibly sponsored Neillsville, WI, #5413, 8/1941

Hancock, MI #866, 4/1/1921, sponsored by Marquette

  • Sponsored Calumet, MI #7415, 1/13/1950

Iron Mt., MI #860, 4/1/1921, sponsored by Marquette; added Kingsford 11/8/1975

Crystal Falls, MI #933, 5/1/1921, sponsored by Marquette [defunct 12/19/2007]

Ironwood, MI #966, 5/1/1921, sponsored by Ashland #588 [Ashland sponsored by Superior #40, see **]; added Hurley 7/28/2005

  • Sponsored Bessemer, MI #1731, 1924
  • Sponsored Wakefield, MI #3260, 1/2/1930; added Bessemer 5/6/1975

 Gladstone, MI #973, 5/1/1921, sponsored by Escanaba, defunct 10/1/1999

New London, WI #1212, 6/1/1922, sponsored by Appleton

  • Sponsored Clintonville, WI #1848, 11/28/1924 - Clintonville sponsored Marion, WI #2678, 10/17/1927

Antigo, WI #1346, 2/10/1923, sponsored by Green Bay

Manistique, MI #1347, 2/10/1923, sponsored by Marquette

Kaukauna, WI, #1357, 2/24/1923, sponsored by Appleton

Berlin, WI #1542, 10/1923, sponsored by Appleton

Shawano, WI #1543, 11/3/1923, sponsored by Green Bay

  • Sponsored Bonduel, WI #6065, 8/9/1945

Kewaunee, WI #1720, 4/15/1924, sponsored by Sturgeon Bay

Bessemer, MI #1731, late April-early May 1924, sponsored by Ironwood, joined with Wakefield 5/6/1975

Clintonville, WI #1848, 11/28/1924, sponsored by New London

  • Sponsored Marion, WI #2678, 10/17/1927

Neenah, WI #2013, 5/29/1925, sponsored by Appleton

  • Sponsored Menasha, WI, #2376, abt.7/1926

 De Pere, WI #2295, 3/22/1926, sponsored by Green Bay

Munising, MI #2334, 5/3/1926, sponsored by Marquette [In Rotarian, 10/1926, p.55]

Marion, WI #2678, 10/17/1927, sponsored by Clintonville

Eagle River, WI #2874, 5/23/1928, sponsored by Crandon [Crandon, WI #1726, was sponsored by Rhinelander]

  • Sponsored Phelps, WI, #3287, 3/3/1930 [RI] 7/28/1930 [charter presentation date]
  • Sponsored Three Lakes, WI, #3443, 4/20/1931[RI] 4/28/1931[charter presentation date] [Rotarian 11/1931,p.38 says ‘but a few month old’]
  • Sponsored Lakeland (Minocqua), WI, #NA, 4/12/1974 Lakeland sponsored Minocqua-Lakeland Area Breakfast, #NA, 8/9/1995

Wakefield, MI #3260, 1/2/1930, sponsored by Ironwood; added Bessemer 5/6/1975

Ontonagon, MI #1567, 4/18/1932, sponsored by Marquette & ??; added White Pine 10/1966 [This charter #1567 was originally assigned to Prestonburg, KY - Rotarian 2/1924,p.42 - which went out of commission soon afterward and was reassigned to Ontonagon. The current Prestonburg club was begun in 1986.]

Merrill, WI #231, 7/1/1916, sponsored by Wausau; sometime after 5/1933, their charter was revoked because of the Depression. They were readmitted 5/7/1937.]

Ishpeming, MI #4423, 10/16/1937, sponsored by Marquette

Bonduel, WI #6065, 8/9/1945, sponsored by Shawano; defunct 5/25/1999

Calumet, MI #7415, 1/13/1950, sponsored by Hancock; added Keweenaw 8/23/1994

Appleton West, WI #NA, 9/28/1970, sponsored by Appleton

Lakeland (Minocqua), WI #NA, 4/12/1974, sponsored by Eagle River

  • Sponsored Minocqua-Lakeland Area Breakfast, #NA, 8/9/1995

Green Bay West, WI #NA, 4/22/1974, sponsored by Green Bay Gillett-Oconto Falls, WI #NA, 5/20/1977, sponsored by Green Bay [but RI Archives say Shawano] [defunct 6/17/1991]

Marquette West, MI #NA, 3/26/1984, sponsored by Marquette

  • Sponsored Marquette Breakfast, #NA, 3/20/1991

Appleton Breakfast, WI #NA, 10/21/1985, sponsored by Appleton

Marquette Breakfast, MI #NA, 3/20/1991, sponsored by Marquette West

Sturgeon Bay Breakfast, WI #NA, 2/17/1992, sponsored by Sturgeon Bay

Wausau Early Birds, WI #29175, 1/1/1993, sponsored by Wausau

Waupaca Breakfast, WI #NA, 1/22/1993, sponsored by Appleton

Minocqua-Lakeland Area Breakfast, WI #NA, 8/9/1995, sponsored by Lakeland

Greater Portage Co., WI #NA, 2/17/2004, sponsored by Stevens Point

Door County North (Baileys Harbor), WI #NA 6/27/2011, sponsored by Sturgeon Bay Rotary Club

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Wausau, WI, founded “through the cooperation of the Milwaukee Rotary Club” -- the first charter to a club in a city with a population under 25,000 -- W.J. Zimmers of Milwaukee presented the charter acting as “Deputy District Governor”. [Anuta, p.67]; Milwaukee, #57, was organized 3/1/1913 and sponsored by Chicago #1. [Note: there were several other clubs that were founded earlier in lower population areas. In 1913-14, the Central Division VP was using 10,000 as the recommended minimum.]

In 1947 all of the past presidents of the Wausau club were invited by club historian R.G. Sayer to attend a ‘Past Presidents Founders Day.’ Alfred H. Zimmerman, their first club president [1914-1915] and D-15 PDG replied in a long letter that he would be unable to attend and provided some club history. Part of that letter included the following:

“The founding of the Wausau Rotary Club was conceived in the mind of Art Prehn – who had considerable correspondence with W.D. Biggers, District Governor, of Detroit, Mich. Rotary International had the idea that small cities would not support and maintain a Rotary Club. Through the cooperation of the Milwaukee Rotary Club – the club went through a schooling and finally International Rotary granted the first charter to any club in a city having a population less that 25,000 to Wausau. The evening the charter was presented 24 fellows sat at dinner at the Bellis Hotel, with W.J. Zimmers of Milwaukee acting as Deputy District Governor.” Based on this letter we attribute the sponsorship of Wausau to Milwaukee, even though the rationale given by Zimmerman was in error.

**Note: Superior, WI, #40, 5/1/1912 [Organized] was sponsored by Duluth, MN, #25, 7/17/1911 [Organized]. Duluth was co-sponsored by Minneapolis, MN, #9, 2/18/1910 [Organized] and St. Paul, MN. #10, 2/19/1910 [Organized] and both Minneapolis and St. Paul were sponsored by Chicago, IL, #1, with Paul Harris as the representative at their formal organizational meetings [this was prior to actual charters being issued].